I don’t know about you, but an evening in with friends in our house is not deserving of the term ‘dinner party’. We are relaxed, we are comfy. If you want to turn up in shorts and flip flops, more power too you. If you want to wear a cocktail dress that’s great too. Hubs looks particularly ravishing in green, it brings out the hazel in his eyes. But even with a super laid back gathering of friends, there is plenty you can do to have your evening run smoothly. Here are some of my top tips:
1. If you’re cooking, do as much prep work as you can ahead of time. You want to spend the evening chilling out, not stuck in the kitchen. Something like a lasagne is perfect. Everything is prepared in advance and you just need to pop it in the oven when your guests are ready to eat.
2. In that same spirit, buy what you can that is pre prepared. Simple things like a pre prepared and bagged salad save all the peeling and chopping.
3. Make sure you’ve plenty of wine! An adult evening out is not complete without the beverage of your choice.
4. Buy fancy snacks. You’re going to need something to soak up that beautiful Shiraz so your guests don’t end up face down in their dinner! Crosta & Mollica do an amazing range just perfect for even the most thirsty of guests. The full range is available from Tesco, Ocado & Waitrose.
5. Make sure you go all out on the desert. When I’m serving dinner for friends, I press pause on the diet. It’s great to end the night on something super indulgent that just hammers home the decadence of the evening.
For me those five points are the secret to an enjoyable and stress free night with friends. Who says you have to go out to me fancy? With the right food, the right wine and the right company, an evening in can trump an expensive evening out any day of the week in my book.
What do you like to serve when you have friends round? Do you have a top tip for a fuss free evening of fun?